Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I'm back...with a Recipe!

WOW I can hardly believe it's been a week since the last time I posted on my blog. Oh well, I am back here once more with loads of pictures to share of what I've been up to. The problem is I have been so busy and have taken so many photos, I don't know where to begin : )

I guess I could start at the beginning and work my way up to the present or start with the latest venture and work my way back to last week...no, I prefer the other way as that will bring me to the present!

So starting from where I left off, my first picture to share is of a recipe I made using a cauliflower. Whenever I make this, my family always ask for more!





I will not repeat what is already on the net on 'How to cut a cauliflower' or 'How to cook a cauliflower' as you can make a search and get loads of great instructions.

Here is how I made my appetizing dish...

Having prepared the cauliflower by cleaning off the outer leaves and cutting off the bottom stem, I broke it (you can cut it) into florets for steaming or boiling. Rinsing is an important part and you can do this the night before if you prefer and leave covered in your fridge overnight.

Now the cooking starts...I usually boil the florets for about 8-10 minutes until I can easily insert a knife into one of the stalks. Drain and put aside. At this point I pre-heated my oven. Sorry I can not quite tell you what temperature to use as my oven is quite old and the thermostat does not work very well (Yep, time for a new one I guess!) so I have to keep checking to adjust the temperature.
I prepared a baking pan by lightly greasing it (you can use a non-stick one).
I placed the pre-cooked florets and arranged them to cover the entire pan.
In a small bowl, I beat three medium eggs with 200ml (a little less than a cup) semi-skimmed milk and a 4-5 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese.
Next I poured this mixture over the prepared florets distributing it evenly.
I made another mixture this time of breadcrumbs with grated parmesan cheese and sprinkled it over the top.

I would say you need to bake it for about 15 minutes at 350° but it depends on individual ovens so the best guide is to check when the cheese and crumb mixture becomes golden. Remember the cauliflower has already been cooked and it is only the egg, cheese and milk mixture that needs to set and cook.

This dish can be served as a main meal along with crusty bread or as a side dish with your favourite meat or fish.

Enjoy, I hope you will try this, if you do, let me know : )

Footnote: I prefer to gently mash the cauliflower before adding the egg mixture, makes it easier to cut into portions once it is cooked.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe sis, I would love that but unfortunately Sara and Neil don't like cauliflower... they are not keen on veggies.
    Anyway I am sure it is a great dish!
    Hugs,
    Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try this! I don't know if I can get anyone else to eat it, but I will! I will let you know if I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I can assure you it is very different to just eating plain cauliflower although we like it that way too.
    Hope you will enjoy it Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Doreen, although I have never tasted baked cauliflower this reminds me of when mum used to make us cauliflower fritters. I used to love eating them with bread and butter. Your recipe has given me an idea for the next Sunday lunch. Will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh hi there how nice of you to comment on this, you have reminded me of the fritters Mum used to make us and I think she still makes them sometimes. I do hope you will enjoy my recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, your input and time are greatly appreciated.

Related Posts with Thumbnails