Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Meatloaf ..... or 'late duty' meal

This is another family favourite. I love to bake this on the day I am on late duty. I prepare the mixture early (put in fridge) and leave the broth as the last ingredient to add just before placing in the oven. My husband or my daughter or son usually bake this just on time for me to find it ready when I come home. Easy as pie to make, even easier, and certainly nutritious for the whole family. Notice the hidden carrots in the meatloaf for those young ones who don't like these veggies.


Ingredients
• 500g lean ground beef
• 2 eggs well beaten
• 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
• 1/4 teaspoon herbes de provence
• 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
• 2 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 medium carrot finely grated
• 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
• 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste or ketchup
• 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
Directions


Preheat oven to 350 degrees if you are baking this right away. In a large bowl start with the beaten eggs and minced beef, add all the other ingredients and mix well. If the mixture is too dry add some milk and if it is too wet you can add some more grated parmesan or 1 or two tablespoons flour.




Place mixture into a non-stick loaf pan or shape into a loaf (using two forks or spoons) and place in a non-stick baking pan.


(If your pan is not non-stick you can lightly grease your baking pan with a little olive oil).


You can add sliced carrots and place around the meatloaf. Pour the chicken or vegetable broth in pan and bake uncovered for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on your oven...as I said in my previous recipe posting, I am careful with my baking since my thermostat does not work. My meatloaf is usually done in about 45 minutes. Make sure no pink remains at the centre of the meatloaf...check by inserting a knife in the centre.



Let sit for 5 minutes before removing from pan and slicing to serve.




You can serve with mashed potatoes or couscous and peas or corn.
Crusty bread is lovely with this healthy meal.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!
    We all love meatloaf, I do it only on Sundays( who knows why????) the kids love it.
    Your recipe differs a little bit from mine, I don't use any sauce or garlic and I use stale bread(not too stale) instead of breadcrumbs. I soak a bread roll in milk and when the milk is well absorbed, I squeeze the bread from the milk and break it up in tiny pieces and add to the mixture ... I assure you it leaves the meatloaf very soft.
    Hugs,
    Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doreen, I will try to make it a point not to read your recipes first thing in the morning! The juices are flowing and sitting here at the office with nothing to bite on but somebody's head, is not healthy...not for me and certainly not for the owner of the head!! Must try this out when we get back. Now, I MUST HAVE A QASSATA!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue, I too like to use stale bread sometimes instead of breadcrumbs which I cut into small chunks but I have never soaked it in milk...I do add some milk separately though especially if the mixture is a little dry. Thanks for sharing the way you make it, will try it!
    LOL Frans hope you enjoyed your qassata, better than biting someone's head eh! Let me know how it came out when you get to make this : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will have to try this!! I love all meatloaf! One question, what is herbes de provence?? I have never heard of that before. It looks so good in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amber,
    Herbes de Provence as you will probably have noticed is a blend of herbs from France. My husband loves to use herbs when cooking and this one we found a few years back in our local supermarket and has become our favourite in many dishes. Here are a couple of links so you can read more about it... http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/herbesdeprovence.html
    http://homecooking.about.com/od/allherbrecipes/r/blherb9.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I can make my own know that I know what it is!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, your input and time are greatly appreciated.

Related Posts with Thumbnails