Sunday, April 5, 2009

Hosanna

Image is from my files


Today is Palm Sunday, the beginning of Holy Week leading to Easter Sunday. Today we commemorate the triumphant entry of Jesus into Jerusalem while people laid down palms and clothing in front of his path. Their cry of Hosanna was an exclamation of praise, originally it was an appeal for deliverance.



On Palm Sunday palms and olive branches are blessed before Mass and distributed to the congregation at the end of today's celebration to take home to place in a prominant places to keep throughout the year.

The passion of Our Lord is recounted during today's Mass and this helps us as we prepare for Holy Week.

In some countries it is customary to make crosses with palms, here is a link on how they are made...




The picture above shows the olive branch that we brought home today after church...I like to leave it in a vase until it starts to dry out and then I take small branches from it to place in different rooms.




A quietness awoke me
I was serene and so happy today
With the crowd I will shout Hosanna
As I lay palms across your way.
Your triumphant entry Lord
into my lonely heart
uplifts me and gives me hope
May we never be apart.

But I am frail and will deny you
Not once but many a time,
Like Peter did though he loved you so ~
I'm moved with your sweet love sublime.

I will shout Hosanna
Praise and honour be yours today
Please save me oh sweet Jesus
Do not let me go astray!
Doreen Scerri © 2009


Image is from my files

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem, Doreen!
    TFS.
    I still have last year's olive branch from Palm Sunday 2008. This morning we got some new branches from church... I usually wait for the next Palm Sunday before putting the old branches away in the organic waste bin.
    Hugs,
    Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sue and Megha for your lovely comments.

    I have browsed through your blogs Megha, very nice indeed and I will surely visit again later : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, your input and time are greatly appreciated.

Related Posts with Thumbnails